[Vorbis-dev] Fwd: Flash Vorbis player

Oliver Thuns oli+243897 at ml0815.streaps.org
Fri Oct 3 07:24:50 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo
<tor-einar at jarnbjo.name> wrote:
> Oliver Thuns schrieb:
>>
>> I wonder why MPL should be better than LGPL. MPL is not compatible to
>> the GPL 2 and LGPL is fine for most projects as long as you use fvorbis
>> as a library.
>
> I'm not really sure why I mixed in Mozilla here. I was thinking Apache (even
> less restrictive) and wrote Mozilla. The reason why I think LGPL is too
> restrictive is, that it may be cases, where you have to modify the library
> code itself to integrate it into your own software. Requiring that the
> modified library code must be rereleased under LGPL as well, is IMHO
> unnecessary and may make it unnecessarily difficult to use the library. If
> people want to state their political views by releasing software under
> (L)GPL, fine with me, but if I release OS software, I do it to be used by
> others and not to require the "others" to work for free.

Now it makes sense :-). I'm always for Apache, BSD, MIT, X11 and
similar licenses. And I share your view about the LGPL. Should we ask
the author of Jorbis what he is thinking about it? I'm sure he is on
this mailing list anyway. Nevertheless I wouldn't worry too much about
the LGPL, it's still quite a liberal license.