[Vorbis-dev] Announce: OMTK Javascript Vorbis player

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo tor-einar at jarnbjo.name
Mon Nov 3 13:41:33 PST 2008

Gregory Maxwell schrieb:
> The obvious next-step is to support <audio/> for maximum
> world-domination power.

It shouldn't be too difficult to hack at least some kind of basic
support for <audio/> using the Javascript library, but as long as the
HTML 5 standard doesn't mandate any codec but PCM/WAV, the "standard"
looks rather useless to me. The fact that Firefox will support
Ogg/Vorbis in the next release is of almost no practical concern, as no
sane web designer is going to make a "Firefox only" web site. Even if
Opera and Safari follows, we still have a proable 90% market penetration
from Microsoft and I'd like to bet at least 5 cent, that they will
support nothing more but WMA and perhaps MP3 with the <audio/> tag, if
they decide to follow the HTML 5 standard at all.
> I'm not sure why you'd require Java 5 ... cortado contains a resampler
> and will even work on the old MS java-vm. :)

I might be wrong, but I think AIX 4 is the only operating system, for
which you only get Java 1.4 and not Java 5 and its market penetration
has fallen to about 42 workstations worldwide.

To be serious, Java 5 offers several new language syntax features (like
generics) which I plan to use when redesigning the J-Ogg API.
Unfortunately, at least Sun's tools don't allow to compile source code
with these features for older Java VMs, although it should be
technically feasible. I know there are a few tools to automatically
convert the source code for older Java versions if no new API
functionality is being used, so I might try to avoid that. I was however
also at least thinking about adding Theora and/or Dirac support to OMTK
and in that case, newer Java VMs (perhaps even Java 6) will be required
to achieve performant video output.

Tor