[Vorbis-dev] Vorbis, ambisonics and 'Vorbis Tools'

Oliver Thuns oli+243897 at ml0815.streaps.org
Sun Nov 2 04:24:36 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Tuomo Latto <djv at iki.fi> wrote:
> e deleflie wrote:
>> This is incomplete... but the idea here is that since ambisonic
>> content can take on all sorts of channel configurations, it would be
>> beneficial to have a human readable  description of what
>> orders/components are involved (rather than opening it in an audio
>> editor, which may or may not be capable of displaying the header
>> info).
>
> Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of such description
> if you don't have any tools capable of handling said files?
>
> That said, it doesn't sound inconceiveable to modify ogginfo
> to decode and display this information for ambisonics files.

I agree with Tuomo. Do users really look into the Comment fields?
There always hidden in some menu. It's better to name the file
accordingly or put the information somewhere, where it's more obvious.
No player/decoder should rely on the information in the
AMBISONICFORMAT tag. So it's useless for the machine and doesn't get
recognized by the user. Also a file without an AMBISONICFORMAT tag
could still be an Ambisonics file.