[Vorbis-dev] generic trac question

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sun May 4 17:11:41 PDT 2008

On 4-May-08, at 12:02 PM, Ian Malone wrote:

> Probably not the best time to ask this considering people are busy
> for the next release, but we're looking at trac for a project
> (apparently) and I remembered that there was a Xiph plan to move
> away from it.

When we switched, bugzilla had stagnated and trac was under heavy
development. Those roles have mostly switched since then.

As others have mentioned, trac has great integration with svn; the
history browser is much better than viewcvs. It's also a great one-
stop package for small projects. You can use the wiki to maintain
project and documentation pages, and it's relatively easy to skin, so
it's an instant website, except for blog support.

On the other hand, it seems to get way more spam than bugzilla ever
did/does elsewhere. It's also really only designed for single small
projects; bugzilla handles multiple projects with multiple projects
(like xiph.org has) much better.

Bugzilla is messy perl+mysql, trac is only slightly cleaner python
+sqlite, Trac uses an unpopular template engine, compared to bugzilla
custom one.

I think all this does add up to an essay, but there you go. :)

  -r