[Vorbis-dev] generic trac question

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Sun May 4 15:23:59 PDT 2008

2008/5/5 Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com>:
> Probably not the best time to ask this considering people are busy for
>  the next release, but we're looking at trac for a project (apparently)
>  and I remembered that there was a Xiph plan to move away from it.  Does
>  anyone have time to recall the reasons (I don't need an essay, just a
>  keyword or two would be appreciated.

I like trac for the way you can cross-index changesets against bug
reports (eg. you write "fixes ticket:37" in an svn commit, and when
you view that commit in trac it is hyperlinked to the bug report).

I don't like it for it's spam attraction, as a result of which our
trac fairly uselessly requires you to have an existing account in
order to log bugs.

I've heard good things about redmine recently, a similar project but
with better user management and captchas and stuff, and perhaps some
other features. You might want to check that out instead.

Conrad.