[Vorbis-dev] Re: [xiph-commits] r14550 - releases/vorbis

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 17:59:47 PST 2008

On 3/4/08, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
> What's a .7z file?

Basically, it's the free counter-part of rar, but with Unicode support
and even better compression.  Since it's pretty much the next-gen zip,
I thought it would be better to provide that instead of a zip.  It's
not a big issue (I hope) because the usual tgz is available as well
and people who can compile surely know how to use one of them.  On the
compression/bandwidth-saving side, the same data in zip would take 1.4
Mb as opposed to the 570 Kb of the 7z.

So, 7z <3

-Ivo