[Vorbis-dev] libvorbis 1.2.1 release?

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jun 8 15:21:44 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+la at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
>
>> The win64 people have posted a final patch[1] and they are both
>> advocating it, which is a good sign.  What about committing it,
>> putting out a RC and three or four days later get this release finally
>> out?
>>
>> -Ivo
>>
>> [1] https://trac.xiph.org/attachment/ticket/1361/libvorbis-1.2.0-x64-revised.3.patch
>
> I've had a look. Its pretty simple and there's nothing obviously wrong
> so I think its probably ok. However, I'm not willing to commit it myself
> because svn annotate never forgets :-).

The change at the end of the patch is wrong.  It assumes your compiler
sets up a round-toward-zero convention.  It's pretty unusual that
(if?) MSVC does this actually, that will give incorrect behavior on
GCC.  GCC leves the FPU in the default OS setup and on most UNIXes
that will be truncate-to-int.  (int)(f+.5) is the correct in this
case.

Does MSVC/Win *really* do round-toward zero?

Monty