[Vorbis-dev] port of vorbis encoder to non-fpu archs

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 08:58:43 PST 2008

On 17/01/2008, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/17/08, alejo d <alejoduque at gmail.com> wrote:
> > any recomendation for devices around 200USD that can do vorbis audio
> > encoding are appreciated.
>
> I don't know of any HW Vorbis encoder.  Even though it would be
> trivial to do one, I don't think anyone ever bothered to do it.  Maybe
> someone else will give you better news.

Hmm.  The barrier is typically:
1. Most embedded platforms lack floating point.  This means the
  existing encoder would have to be ported or rewritten to use
  integers.  It's possible, but you'd have to get acquainted with
  the encoder and there's probably some thought required in places
  too.
2. Memory.  Monty pointed out a while ago that this is a problem
  for the decoder in hardware
(<http://xiph.org/minutes/2006/10/200610_meeting.txt>)

If this is going to run on a router though (OpenWRT?) there may
well be enough RAM.  And Googling shows that some MIPS cores
have floating point (well, they used to build silicon graphics machines
with them), though whether one used in a router will is a very different
question.

So, I'm assuming the OP is using an open firmware of some kind.
In which case the people behind it are the ones to ask as they will
have some idea of the machine's capabilities (or how to find out)
and programming in that environment.

--
imalone