[Vorbis-dev] Re: vorbis-tools 1.2.0 Release Candidate

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Mon Feb 11 21:02:55 PST 2008

On 12/02/2008, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
> On 8-Feb-08, at 1:28 PM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>
> > Why is vcut disabled by default?
>
> IIRC because it doesn't work well enough. There were some edge cases
> that made it not entirely a safe tool.
>
> See 'hogg chop' for an alternative (possibly equally buggy :).

heh :-)

hogg chop works on pages, so it may include quite a few more packets
prior to or after the part you actually want. It does at least make
sure to include at least 2 prior vorbis packets for preroll (ie. as
required to decode, accounting for overlap-add).

With the last released version of hogg, a skeleton track is always
inserted after chopping which isn't desirable for Ogg Vorbis I. The
code in the darcs repo has a flag for not including skeleton.

There may be other random issues :-) in general though it's a generic
Ogg file chopper, wheras iirc vcut is designed to be a fine-grained
vorbis cutter.

http://www.kfish.org/software/hogg/

cheers,

Conrad.