[Vorbis-dev] libvorbis 1.2.2 RC1

Michael Gold mgold at ncf.ca
Tue Dec 16 12:11:58 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:20:32 -0800, Michael Smith wrote:
> Some padding in the comment header is a reasonable request. 4k is
> ridiculous overkill, and will break at least some applications (e.g.
> anything that uses taglib).
>
> Padding 256 bytes, for example, wouldn't be so obviously bad, if done
> when the app requested it (not by default).

I checked the comment sizes on all of my Vorbis files. Files from
Jamendo seem to have about 700 bytes of comments in general, but I have
a bunch with over 1.5K and some with over 2K.

Pasting a block of lyrics into a file could add around 2K. Padding to 4K
doesn't seem unreasonable, especially considering most Vorbis files will
be several megabytes. Are there cases where the size would be a problem?

I suppose adding lyrics isn't really an operation suited to mass tagging,
so 256 bytes might be reasonable for most cases. However, even rewriting
a single file is annoying if that file is large (e.g., it it's a movie).
Maybe the amount of padding should be based on the filesize somehow,
with no padding for very small files.

I think padding should be enabled by default though: otherwise most
users won't see any benefit, and they probably won't think to look for
an option that makes retagging faster.

-- Michael