[Vorbis-dev] libvorbis 1.2.2 RC1

Michael Gold mgold at ncf.ca
Tue Dec 16 08:26:23 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 13:40:43 +0000, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
> Sorry for the delay in the reply.
>
> On 12/12/08, Michael Gold <mgold at ncf.ca> wrote:
> > Here's a patch that adds comment padding to vorbis_analysis_headerout.
>
> It was my understanding that the files generated by oggenc and
> vorbiscomment with the other patch you sent would not require
> modification in libvorbis to take the speedup advantage provided by
> the padding.
>
> Did I get that wrong?

My description was a bit unclear. libvorbis can decode padded files
without any changes; this patch modifies the function used by oggenc to
create the comment packet, so that the packet is padded.

Without this patch, newly-created files won't have any padding, and an
Ogg file would need to be fully rewritten when the comment packet is
enlarged (and vcedit.c would add padding at that time). Comment changes
that don't enlarge the packet will be fast in any case.

-- Michael