[Vorbis-dev] Codec Parameter for Ogg media types

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 19:49:11 PDT 2008

Hi Ivo,

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves
<justivo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/14/08, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > if you need help, let me know.
>
>  Oh, I do have questions, alright.

Awesome. :-)

>  For instance, your examples include the full name of the codecs, and
>  RFC4281 seems to point that they can only be a four letters code.
>  Mostly due to the whole document being MPEG-centric.
>
>  On the other hands, a small paragraph seems to point that "non-ISO"
>  codecs can do their own thing, so in theory we could use the full
>  name.  But I'm not sure.  The document really was written with MPEG
>  stuff in mind, not other codecs, so it's pretty vague on what others
>  should do.
>
>  If nobody cares, I think full codec name is a-okay.

I agree - every sensible person on the planet would use the full codec
name, so we should not make it over-complicated by inventing alternate
naming schemes.

>  There's also the matter if this goes on Required Parameters or
>  Optional Parameters.  I vote for Optional.  Required is pretty
>  extreme.

I also agree, they should be optional. Not all uses of the MIME types
require them.

>  Also, I want to confirm if it isn't just me that thinks Skeleton does
>  _not_ need to be listed as a codec.  It's an Ogg extension disguised
>  as codec, and applications that support Ogg should support Skeleton,
>  which means it's pretty redundant to have it listed under "codecs".

I agree, Skeleton is not a codec, but rather the use of the new ogv,
oga and ogx schemes already imply that skeleton is in use.

Onya!

Cheers,
Silvia.