[Vorbis-dev] Codec Parameter for Ogg media types

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 18:12:23 PDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Conrad Parker <conrad at metadecks.org> wrote:
> On 14/04/2008, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Hi Ivo,
>  >
>  >  I am happy to add a codecs parameter to the mime types where they are
>  >  being used to identify a file's content, in particular over a network.
>  >
>  >  We would have e.g. a audio file example.oga with the mime type
>  >  audio/ogg; codecs=vorbis . Or a video example2.ogv with mime type
>  >  video/ogg; codecs="dirac, speex". It makes a lot of sense.
>  >

>  I think it's a good idea too.

Cool!

>  Then we can use "audio/ogg; codecs=vorbis" rather than the
>  unregistered "audio/vorbis" in skeleton.

No, I think these are two very different things. audio/ogg;
codecs=vorbis means there is an ogg vorbis file. audio/vorbis means
here is a stream of vorbis - no matter how it is encapsulated. We
cannot do without audio/vorbis in a streaming context and should use
the same inside skeleton IMO.

Cheers,
Silvia.