[Vorbis-dev] base64 ALBUMART vorbiscomment (was Re: [ogg-dev] Ogg/Spots and Ogg/MNG)

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 05:27:49 PDT 2008

Silvia,

This discussion has moved to vorbis-dev.  You may want to reply further there.

On 4/12/08, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Even with putting the picture into vorbiscomment, the software would
> need to be smart enough to uudecode the picture and display it. A url
> is much simpler I believe.

I had thought of this approach myself, too, and while yes, it's much
simpler, it presents serious obstacles that made me disconsider it.

For one, not everyone is 24h online.  And it's not just computers;
mobile phones and HW players would very rarely have any use for this
tag.

Nothing on the Web stays static.  Your image is working today, maybe
tomorrow too, but it has fewer chances of being there next week.
Unless it's a site specifically dedicated to offer covers (and even
then, they could break their own links occasionally), it's not a good
approach.

XSPF is doing the same approach.  It makes sense for XSPF (most of its
features are geared for online use), but no so much for a Vorbis file
which will stay static and usually offline.

-Ivo