[Vorbis-dev] Re: [ogg-dev] Peer review draft for the new media types/file extensions

Shane Stephens shane.stephens at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 16:21:11 PDT 2007

> > More generally, I would like to suggest for audio/ogg with oga and
> > video/ogg with ogv extensions that skeleton SHOULD be used for the
> > same simple reason of being able to identify the codecs inside.
>
> This I'm not so sure.  AFAIK, there's still no official or
> non-official tools out there (except a few simple SVN projects) that
> deal with Skeleton.  There's no Skeleton RFC either.  We have to push
> for both urgently.

Hi,

Just so people are aware, liboggplay deals with skeleton tracks, and also
forms a nice simple basis for implementing a (video/audio/whatever) player
that can deal with pretty much any Ogg-compliant file that is thrown at it.
There'll be a big 1.0 release of liboggplay in January - liboggplay is also
in use within the already-released ogg/annodex plugin for firefox; and is
being incorporated by Cris Double into some builds of firefox 3 for native
ogg support purposes.  So it's not true that there's nothing out there that
deals with skeleton tracks.

As for skeleton track creation, a three-line script on top of libannodex
would do it, hogg does it, I can probably get it into oogg (ocaml ogg)
pretty quickly, and at any rate, we're talking about a new conceptual
file-type with a new extension - whether or not the tool support exists
*right now* is less important than whether (a) the tool is easy to create
and (b) the skeleton track makes sense in the context of audio/ogg and
video/ogg files.

Cheers,
    -Shane