[Vorbis-dev] low-memory vorbis decoding

Tor-Einar jarnbjo tor-einar at jarnbjo.name
Thu Mar 8 11:51:25 PST 2007

Ethan Fenn schrieb:
> But, before I dive into that I was wondering if anyone has any
> experience with this sort of thing and could give me some idea of how
> much work it's likely to be.
Short answer: You can't. You will at least need to keep some
representation of the codebook header in memory, and as the codebook
size is not limited in the Vorbis specification, it is not possible to
implement a complete Vorbis decoder with specific memory limits.

Long answer: I suppose 256kB ought to be enough for most Vorbis streams.
I don't know the reference decoder good enough to understand why 130kB
code and 60kB static data is needed. Except for the floor lookup table
(256 floating point entries), a Vorbis decoder should not need a
substantial amount of other static data and the code size must be
somehow optimizable.

Tor