[vorbis-dev] headers not correctly framed?!

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jul 15 14:10:37 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 06:53:20PM +0200, Sebastian Droege wrote:
> Hi,
> when I encode some files with the current CVS I get the following error with ogginfo:
>
> [...]
> New logical stream (#1, serial: 476aea05): type vorbis
> Warning: Vorbis stream 1 does not have headers correctly framed. Terminal header page contains additional packets or has non-zero granulepos
> Vorbis headers parsed for stream 1, information follows...
> Version: 0
> Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20020713 (1.0)
> [...]
>
> You can get an example file at http://slomosnail.no-ip.com/files/Boehse_Onkelz_-_Erinnerungen.ogg
>
> Maybe this is useful for you....

Hello,

Yours is the second report of this bug.  If ogginfo were telling the
truth, it would be a mild concern although it wouldn't break any software...

After examination, the bug turns out to be in ogginfo:

                if(ogg_page_granulepos(page) != 0 || ogg_page_continued(page))
                    warn(_("Warning: Vorbis stream %d does not have headers "
                           "correctly framed. Terminal header page contains "
                           "additional packets or has non-zero granulepos\n"),
                            stream->num);

The ogginfo author misunderstood the use of ogg_page_continued().  It
is set not when a packet on the current page continues to the next,
but whan a packet on a *previous* page continued onto the current.

Support folks might want to keep this in mind as ogginfo will
currently report this whenever the comment plus setup headers (second
and third packets) are longer than 4k, which they are *slightly* over
in several 1.0 modes, most notably the mode for stereo -q 4.  Vorbis
tags will also often push the header size over 4k.

Monty