[Vorbis-dev] 5.1 surround channel coupling

Richard Lee ricardo at justnet.com.au
Sat Feb 24 01:15:47 PST 2007

>> And am I asking the right people about frequency banding and phase?  If I'm in the wrong place, please tell me to go forth & multiply.

>This list is definitely correct if we talk about people who can
improve Vorbis codec, but the question is whether they want to.
Vorbis' surround application stands in its place from at least five
years; there were no common tools to easily encode/decode Ambisonics
till now.

Thanks Sebastien.

Does this mean there is an existing B-format to Vorbis encoder?

And a Vorbis to B-format decoder?

How do I find what design decisions were made in this?

Particularly the frequency banding and "phase" model used.

My interest is that the time is now ripe for Ambisonics to adopt a good compressed format.  Vorbis is the obvious candidate.

I was hoping to become a Vorbis guru and extend Vorbis to do Ambisonics properly.  It's not as complicated as I originally envisaged.  But I need more info.

Richard
wannabe Vorbis guru.