[Vorbis-dev] 5.1 surround channel coupling

Richard Lee ricardo at justnet.com.au
Wed Feb 21 16:23:08 PST 2007

>Yesterday I have finished writing the ambisonic pan filter for oggenc.

May I ask what this "pan filter" is?

I made some tentative suggestions for coupling Ambisonic B-format in a post

"Vorbis Ambisonic coupling" on 4feb07

I gather from the last monthly meeting, that some of you, including Monty, had problems with the phase behaviour of B-format.

Would anyone like a simpler explanation?

I'd like to make firmer recommendations for Ambisonic encoding in Vorbis.  For this I need more info.

Is there a document which details the frequency banding strategy used by Vorbis?

Is it more usual to adopt eg "8 phase" at a lower frequency band before going to "4 phase"?

Do the terms "8 phase", "4 phase", "point" still make sense when we are coupling 4 channels?

Is there much advantage doing "4 phase" coupling above 18kHz only compared to "lossless" coupling of the 4 channels right up to 20kHz?