[Vorbis-dev] 5.1 surround channel coupling

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Feb 10 10:18:12 PST 2007

Xiph's Monthly Meeting of February wrote:

> <_Ivo> alright, shall we move to the next topic?
> <_Ivo> it's regarding the recent Ambisonics discussions and how well
> it affects the projects involved (mainly Vorbis)
> <rillian> well, we support 4-channel ambisonics like they were talking about
> <rillian> it would be cool if someone did a tuned mode for them
> <xiphmont> completely uncoupled, yes.
> <xiphmont> and yes
> <xiphmont> I'd like to do this because I'd like Ghosts's support for
> ambisonics to be more fundamental... that is, a coupling system better
> suited to it fundamentally.
> <derf_> I thought ambisonics was spherical harmonics. Are the channels
> really that correlated?

I have added new sections to the Ambisonics page at:
   http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Ambisonics

on "Ambisonics and 5.1" and "Channel correlation".
These should address the questions which were
raised at Xiph's Monthly Meeting of February.  If
there are other quetions I could usefully address,
just let me know.

Regards,
Martin
--