[Vorbis-dev] 5.1 surround channel coupling

Balatoni Denes dbalatoni at programozo.hu
Fri Feb 2 16:43:52 PST 2007

Hi!

Saturday 03 February 2007 01:30-kor Sebastian Gesemann ezeket a bolcs
gondolatokat fogalmazta meg:
> You're not the only one. I also think square polar mapping (SQPM) is a
> waste of time. It should be possible to losslessly transcode *current*
> Vorbis streams so they don't use SQPM. Of course this would involve
> "rearranging the codebooks".

Exactly what I thought! I was thinking of implementing this, but so far
lazyness/not seeing too much point in the effort prevented me from doing
so :).

> Monty addresses this point in http://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/stereo.html ,
>[...]
> Though, I fail to grasp why SQPM is beneficial when it comes to
> multi-stage vector quantization.

Thanks for the quote - although I have read the document, I might have not
paid enough attention, because this part didn't catch my attention!
Monty might be on to something there, but neither I think that SQPM would give
a measurably large boost to the multi-stage vq efficiency - especially for
lattice vq. But maybe it does.

> Cheers!
> Sebastian

bye
Denes

--
---
What kills me, doesn't make me stronger.