[Vorbis-dev] 5.1 surround channel coupling

Balatoni Denes dbalatoni at programozo.hu
Fri Feb 2 16:20:13 PST 2007

Hi!

Btw, if talking about coupling - has it occured to anybody else too, that the
coupling step in en/decoding as used today for stereo is just wasting
computational powers, but is otherwise completly useless from a coding
efficiency standpoint?

The thing is that every angle&magnitude pair is coded with one vq codeword for
stereo - so two values for one codeword. Now, wouldn't it be the exact same
thing (with less computation) if the two values coded with one vq codeword
where not angle and magnitude pairs but instead the actual left and right
values? I don't see how this would decrease coding efficiency - but it would
increase decoding speed in many cases.

Just something I had been thinking about for some time...

bye
Denes

--
---
What kills me, doesn't make me stronger.