[Vorbis-dev] 5.1 surround channel coupling

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Feb 1 10:08:19 PST 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 02:14:49PM +0000, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:

> You mentioned Vorbis needs surround, but what about FLAC and OggPCM?
> Are those alright and only Vorbis lacks surround due to it being a
> lossy format?  Or what, exactly?

All these formats support multiple independent channels just fine. You
can encode a surround soundtrack in any of them. What's missing is
tuning of the reference vorbis encoder to produce better quality/bitrate
for 5.1 surround mixes by taking advantage of redundancy between the
channels. Without that we're not technically competitive with AC3.

 -r