[Vorbis-dev] 5.1 surround channel coupling

Josh Coalson j_coalson at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 08:24:58 PST 2007

--- Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:
> @Ralph
> You mentioned Vorbis needs surround, but what about FLAC and OggPCM?
> Are those alright and only Vorbis lacks surround due to it being a
> lossy format?  Or what, exactly?

native FLAC supports up to 8 channels and has mappings for several
arrangements up to 5.1
(http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html#frame_header)

but it's a much easier problem for a lossless codec.  right now,
except for stereo, channels are always coded independently, mainly
because I haven't done much research into patent-free multichannel
decorrelation schemes.

Josh