[Vorbis-dev] Bounty for function to monitor an OGG-VORBIS stream

Andrew Brampton andrew at bramp.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Aug 24 01:49:02 PDT 2007

From: "Paul Martin" <pm at nowster.org.uk>

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 07:51:44PM -0500, R.L. Horn wrote:
>>
>> Couldn't you just look at deviation from, say, white noise (or
>> however "static" is defined)?  Since that's a frequency-domain
>> problem, it seems like the DCT coefficients would provide all the
>> necessary information.
>
> What happens if someone decides to play a piece of music that
> contains the sound of a waterfall, waves crashing on a beach, or
> something similar?

I don't know anything about audio processing, etc... But from what I
understand isn't white noise just random particles from space, if so
wouldn't the entropy of the static be quite high (ie random), where as the
entropy for music, or other structured sounds be low?

Maybe I'm just wrong :) but I find this discussion interesting.

Andrew