[Vorbis-dev] Probleme with bitrate when encoding small files

Jean-Francois Guay jean-francois.guay at ubisoft.com
Tue Aug 7 10:22:45 PDT 2007

Hello,
We found a problem that we are not sure who is responsible.

Here is what we found:
On some small file (around 1 sec) if we ask to compress the file at
128kb/s
On an encoder compiled with Microsoft visual 7.1 it generate a file at
160kb/s (that is the behaviour we expect because of the short length of
the file)
On same encoder compiled with Microsoft visual 8.0 with the same
parameter it generate a file at 87kb/s and the sound quality is not
really good (but the sound quality is coherent with the bitrate
effectively used)

>From what we have found to date it's look like it's related to rounding
error from float to int conversion but it's just an impression we have
not pin pointed the exact problem. We tried out different compilation
option on VC8 to reproduce the behaviour of VC71, but without success.

So we don't know if it's a Microsoft bug or if the problem is on the
side of vorbis lib or on our side. But what we are sure is that we send
the same encoding parameter to both version of the encoder.  Presently
we use libvorbis 1.0, it's in our plan to update to version 1.2 in the
future but for the short term we would prefer to stay with 1.0.

What we are interested, is if someone that have access to an encoder
compiled with VC71 and VC8 and can reproduce the same result as we have,
it would confirm that the problem is not with our implementation of the
encoder. Also if someone have a hint where to look in vorbis code to try
to understand what's happening it's would be helpful.

You can download the file that reproduces the problem by ftp at:
privateftp.ubisoft.com
login: 50579-tg-ogg
password: JZgkeypC

ftp://50579-tg-ogg:JZgkeypC@privateftp.ubisoft.com