[Vorbis-dev] Ambisonics in Ogg Vorbis

Richard Lee ricardo at justnet.com.au
Fri Apr 20 23:51:10 PDT 2007

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com wrote

>It would be nice if someone with a working ambisonic playback rig
would give me some feedback on the decodes of coupled encodes. :)

Has anyone done this; tried coupled encode / decoder of ambisonic signals?

I get the impression from this forum, including Monty's post, that no one has tried ANY coupling on a multi-channel file.  And only point and lossless are in present use for stereo.

Monty said 8 phase & 4 phase coupling were once used in the dim & distant past (for stereo) but not anymore.  Does anyone know how much improvement in packing efficiency they give?

After Monty's post, Lossy coupling on Ambi files is VERBOTTEN !