[Vorbis-dev] Re: [ogg-dev] Ambisonics in Ogg Vorbis

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Wed Apr 18 20:39:52 PDT 2007

Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> It depends what your aim is.  The mapping type
> in the vorbis setup header is meant for
> this[1],[2].  Of course a nonzero mapping type will
> cause a lot of players to give up, but so will
> including the XML stream.  I believe this is how
> is was intended multi-channel would be handled.

Thanks for the response, and for the
references.  Did you mean mapping type = 0
for multi-channel and 1 for Ambisonics?

What else is there to do in Vorbis other than
stating "1 = Ambisonics"?  ('Cause I think you
just did that.:-))

> Without knowing what you need the metadata to record
> (I assume it can be fairly strictly defined?) I'd say
> of the two metadata approaches going the Skeleton route
> is the easier task here.

So Ogg Skeleton it is.  For B-Format, the
metadata needed is just a flag saying "this is
B-Format" plus two integer numbers specifying
the horizontal and height orders.  A version
number would also be useful.  This can all
easily fit into key-value pairs.  I will post to
ogg-dev on this in the future, as that seems the
appropriate forum for Ogg Skeleton.

Thanks again,
Martin
--