[Vorbis-dev] Ambisonics in Ogg Vorbis

Sebastian Olter qduaty at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 07:35:43 PDT 2007

People,

Depending on how many possible Ambisonic formats, variants, mappings do we
have, things go more or less complicated. Why not just say: we encode
B-Format and switch to mapping 1?

Regarding the backward compatibility:

Most of good Vorbis players and player libraries that can do multichannel
decoding (for example: Winamp with 5.1, ffdshow, mplayer, vlc) are updated
so often that it's possible to release a new valuable standard and simply
wait for projects to follow.

The only thing to be considered is the compatibility of already existing
hardware players, those that have Ogg Vorbis 1 support built-in and disallow
users to upgrade firmware. How many of them are out there? And who uploads a
300 kbps audio file (I assume Vorbis Ambisonic WXY with q=4) to a portable
player? I think before the low bitrate Vorbis Ambisonic files become
popular, such hardware players will all be out of service.