[Vorbis-dev] A selection of interesting papers, thesis and courses on Audio, Music and Speech

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 04:17:14 PST 2006

Well, some University in America (Rice University) has beginning a
process of providing courses and books under CC licenses.  I've looked
into it and already found some interesting stuff that people in this
list might found interesting.

Frequency and Music
An overview of frequency, harmonic (Fourier) series, and their
relationship to music.
http://cnx.org/content/col10338/latest/

Audio Localization
This course has been created as an introduction to audio localization,
and how beamforming can be applied in a real-time environment.
http://cnx.org/content/col10250/latest/
(is this useful for Ghost?)

Fundamentals of Digital Signal Processing Lab
The purpose of this lab is to familiarize students with the DSP
development workstation in the signal processing lab by examining
sampling, analysis, and reconstruction of continuous-time signals.
Specifically, we will first look at sampling/reconstruction of
continuous-time signals. We will then examine time- and
frequency-domain displays. Finally, we will examine the importance of
sampling frequency and its effects on aliasing.
http://cnx.org/content/col10303/latest/

Intro to Digital Signal Processing
The course provides an introduction to the concepts of digital signal
processing (DSP). Some of the main topics covered include DSP systems,
image restoration, z-transform, FIR filters, adaptive filters,
wavelets, and filterbanks.
http://cnx.org/content/col10203/latest/

Methods for Voice Conversion
This course explores methods in signal processing to perform voice
conversion: producing the words from one speaker in the voice of
another. This is the Elec 301 project of Justin Chen, Matthew
Hutchinson, Gina Upperman, and Brian VanOsdol.
http://cnx.org/content/col10252/latest/
(is Jean-Marc in Vorbis-dev list?  This one should have some use to him)

Musical Instrument Recognition
To detect the pitch and instrument of a monophonic signal. To
decompose polyphonic signals into their component pitches and
instruments by analyzing the waveform and spectra of each instrument.
Elec 301 Project Fall 2005.
http://cnx.org/content/col10313/latest/

Cool stuff.

-Ivo