[Vorbis-dev] Codebook decoding help

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed May 10 05:39:22 PDT 2006

On 4/16/06, thomas.guettinger at aon.at <thomas.guettinger at aon.at> wrote:
> Dear Sir or Maddam,
>
> we're in the progress of developing a multimedia framework for Java. We started with programming a Vorbis (ogg) codec and demultiplexer and have still some problems with this.
>
> The problem occured when trying to read the setup header of a vorbis file.
> After a certain time we have to decode the codebook_lengths but this does not work.

Thomas,

Sorry for the very delayed reply. Since you're not a subscriber to the
mailing list, your mail wasn't accepted (an anti-spam measure). The
moderation queue is only rarely looked at.

Anyway, your problem appears to be that you need to create a
bit-unpacking layer for your decoder. It's not possible to have a
simple table of offsets - the offsets are variable. It's neccesary to
just read the appropriate number of bits at a time; there's nothing in
java that would make this unusually difficult.

Note that there's already a freely available java vorbis decoder
(called 'jorbis'); you might find it better just to use that?

Mike