[Vorbis-dev] Please remove the debian/ subdirectory in several Xiph.org projects

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Fri Jan 20 15:14:50 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 02:34:18AM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:

>   This is good, thanks. Btw, could CHANGES be added to the EXTRA_DIST in
>   Makefile.am for vorbis and theora? ao and ogg already have it.

Oops! Yes, added.

>   Okay, fair enough. I see a couple alternatives; please the one that
>   suits you best (I'd say I prefer the first one, but feel free to
>   choose):
>
>     - the debian subdirectories are changed into a svn:external pointing
>       to svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-xiph/trunk/packages/*/debian. Benefits:
>       zero overhead in maintenance. Drawbacks: svn update can annoy you
>       if you don't use --ignore-externals.

This also has the drawback that the debian version can't have separate
packaging information. As it is we have stale and/or amateurly updated
debian packaging, but using and external might be even worse since the
debian package and something built from 'upstream' might end are more
likely to end up labeled identically.

So I guess I'd prefer maintaining separate directories. You can always
make the package in svn.debian.org an external if they're the same?

 -r