[Vorbis-dev] libao - libsndfile plugin

Antoine Mathys mathys9 at etu.unige.ch
Sat Apr 22 19:02:37 PDT 2006

(sorry to reply in two parts)
> libao should still work without dependencies
Ok.
> I think it makes more sense to do this in ogg123 than in libao. That is,
> just patch it to automagically set the format option from the extension
> if (a) the libsndfile device is being used and (b) the user hasn't set
> it explicitly.

This is bad for several reasons (assuming we may have several file
output plugins), mainly:
1. Require unnecessary changes in all the clients of libao, whereas the
current API (ao_open_file taking the filename) works fine.
2. Violate a principle of "separation of concerns". ogg123 shouldn't
know how to guess the value of an option for a particular plugin, nor
even what options it takes. We should also have the freedom to change
these options or their syntax.
3. The extension is not always a valid format name. Think .wav which can
be the extension of a MS, NIST SPHERE or WAVEX file.