[Vorbis-dev] compile oggencoder without gcc

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Oct 27 21:56:04 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 08:58:15PM -0700, Lion Heart wrote:

> hi,i'm a highschool student.
> Right now i'm working on my assignment about
> oggencoder in C++.
> I've download the oggenc.exe from the web.
> The only thing I want to ask is :
> Can I compile my own oggenc.exe without gcc ?

Yes. You need a compiler of some sort, of course, but you should be able
to compile oggenc and its dependent libraries with any compiler. We are
best able to support gcc, and it has the advantage of being Free
Software, but you're of course welcome to use whatever compiler you
prefer.

> Can I compile it on pure C++ ?

Maybe. I'd expect oggenc itself to work, but I recall there being some
issues with libvorbis itself. Give it a try, I guess.

> Could someone explain me step by step how to do it ?
> coz I'm a beginner in C++ programming language.

I don't know enough about what you're using to help you with that part
of your homework, but if you have more specific questions we'll try to
answer them.

What I can do is point you at the source packages. You'll need libvorbis
and vorbis-tools from http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/vorbis/ and
libogg from http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/ogg/. vorbis-tools
requires libvorbis and libogg, and libvorbis also requires libogg, so
build libogg first. Also, you can get source from wherever you
downloaded your oggenc.exe; if it's a modified version that might be
more helpful.

Thanks for looking at vorbis, and good luck with your assignment.

Cheers,
 -r