[Vorbis-dev] Crash in mdct_forward

matthew.tennant at symbian.com matthew.tennant at symbian.com
Wed Nov 16 06:33:37 PST 2005

Hello all,
        I am playing around, trying to get an OggVorbis encoder
implementation working on the Symbian OS.
Unfortunately I am getting a crash - here is the stack

vorbis_analysis_blockout
_ve_envelope_search
_ve_amp
mdct_forward
free
User::Free(void *)
RHeap::Free(void *)
RHeap::GetAddress(const void *)const
RHeap::CheckCell(const RHeap::SCell *)const
Panic(TCdtPanic)
User::Panic(const TDesC16 &, int)

In the case here the free call is doing something very bad
(like for example freeing some memory already freed). Hence the crash.
Perhaps my entire vorbis configuration is broken before
the vorbis_analysis_blockout call - this would explain the crash
Here is some logging of the vorbis APIs that are being called before the
crash happens:-

       88.675   Called vorbis_analysis_buffer with int vals = 1024
       88.675   Called vorbis_analysis_wrote with vals = 1024
       88.675   about to call vorbis_analysis_blockout (returned 0)
       88.700   Called vorbis_analysis_buffer with int vals = 1024
       88.700   Called vorbis_analysis_wrote with vals = 1024
       88.700   about to call vorbis_analysis_blockout (returned 0)
       88.725   Called vorbis_analysis_buffer with int vals = 1024
       88.725   Called vorbis_analysis_wrote with vals = 1024
       88.725   about to call vorbis_analysis_blockout
       88.730   Thread MMFAudioServer.exe::Local-0134f468 Panic USER 42

A quick search of Google shows that my particular callstack has occured
before - in 2002.
 At that time it was fixed by
monty at xiph.org. That may or may not have been a related problem.
(http://trac.xiph.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/216)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Symbian Software Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with
registered number 4190020 and registered office at 2-6 Boundary Row,
Southwark, London,  SE1 8HP, UK. This message is intended only for use by
the named addressee and may contain privileged and/or confidential
information. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate,
copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this
message in error please notify postmaster at symbian.com and delete the
message and any attachments accompanying it immediately. Neither Symbian
nor any of its subsidiaries accepts liability for any corruption,
interception, amendment, tampering or viruses occurring to this message in
transit or for any message sent by its employees which is not in compliance
with Symbian corporate policy.