[Vorbis-dev] predictability of buffer size for decoding

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Tue Nov 1 13:59:00 PST 2005

On 11/1/05, Steve Russell <srussell at innernet.net> wrote:

> I am wondering if buffer size for my decoding to pcm can be predicted
> dependably as follows.  So far, the one problem I have had is when I have
> played a file of only about 5k.  The buffer was a little less than 10% too
> small.  I "solved" that by padding the result with an extra 20 percent.
> However, I have been told that I should be able to rely on the value of
> ov_pcm_total.

Yes, ov_pcm_total will return sample-accurate accurate values for a
valid ogg stream.

It's possible to create files that will confuse it into returning the
wrong values, but those would be rare (and invalid), so I wouldn't
worry about them. Just check that you don't overrun the buffer you DID
allocate.

Mike