[Vorbis-dev] Query on Codewords length

valmick.guha at wipro.com valmick.guha at wipro.com
Wed Mar 30 23:08:08 PST 2005

Hi,

We are porting the Ogg Vorbis fixed point decoder to a 24 bit fixed
point precision processor. We are trying to reduce the number of cycles
for MIPS optimization. In this process we observed that most of the
songs do not have "maximum codeword length" greater than 24 bits.

We are planning to reduce most of the double word operations (in our
case 32 bit data is stored as double word) to single word, i.e. 24 bit.

I would like to know, what is the chance of getting a codeword of length
greater than 24 bits in a song or for songs of different qualities while
encoding?

The maximum possible codeword length being 32 bits, we are currently
storing it in double word. If the likeliness of it occurring is very
less then we plan to use only single word ( 24 bits ) operations for the
Huffman decoding.

Regards,

Valmick

Confidentiality Notice