[Vorbis-dev] Streams with block sizes 4096 and 8192

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Mar 1 23:45:09 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:31:52AM +0530, KumarBraj Bhushan wrote:
> Monty,
>
> I would suggest not to include 8192 blocksize altogether.

An 8192 sample blocksize is only used in sampling rates over 64kHz.
If you're only handling CD-rate (or DAT-rate) audio, you need not
include decode support for it.

(Do you still want a 8192 sample file, just for the heck of it?)

> One more thing, we have tried to use only 16 MSBs of current 32-bit
> window lookup tables and the quality of decoded outputs seems to be
> not affected. What was your experience? I am sure you must have
> experimented with lower precision of these tables. If it works, it
> will reduce table requirement by half.

16 bits is almost certainly still deeper than the S/N of the typical
DAC in a portable player (as well as deeper than *most* recorded
signals).  So, this optimization is fine.

Monty