[Vorbis-dev] Re: ogg ACM codec

Didier Dambrin didid at skynet.be
Wed Jul 20 12:49:48 PDT 2005

>> Check out ACMSTREAMHEADER, from what I read it allows pretty much
>> every kind of decoding, and it proved to work with mp3.
>

> but mp3 has a fixed number of samples per frame, unlike vorbis that
> doesn't have this characteristic

that's the encoder's own stuff, the ACM SDK doesn't know about 'frames', it
just tells the codec 'here, take this buffer, I want you to decode in this
other buffer that's allocated for n samples', to which the codec can say 'ok
I just decoded y samples, here's the result', or 'ok I decoded them, but
that didn't produce any samples', etc.

I don't see how this could be a problem for the codec. There wasn't enough
samples for 1 frame? it doesn't matter, the codec can just buffer that, and
report that it couldn't decode the samples. The next chunk, it might have
enough samples.