[Vorbis-dev] ogg ACM codec

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Jul 19 18:26:32 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 04:49:17PM +0200, Didier Dambrin wrote:

> All I know is that we're currently using that japanese codec made by
> 'freddie fish'. The decoding works perfectly for us, it's the encoding that
> sometimes crashes, and doesn't work in some editors.

Well, we basically said "You can't actually make a fully working Ogg
Vorbis ACM codec" and you said "But were're using one, it's great it
just doesn't always work".  So we're in full agreement.

(The Japanese one is a hack and isn't fully compliant.  So no, it
won't always work).

> Problem is that I want to keep working with wav files: they're
> standard, and we use a lot of the info they may contain. While I
> know that you could store anything you want in an ogg file, it'd
> still lack of support from audio editors. That's the problem with a
> new format: it's new.

Ogg isn't that new; what editor are you using that still doesn't
support Ogg?  Most do these days.

Monty