[Vorbis-dev] Performance on low-CPU devices

Martin Vilcans martin at jadestone.se
Wed Jan 12 06:26:40 PST 2005

Hi!

I'm new to this list. I work at a game development company, and we are
considering Ogg Vorbis for the audio in a cell phone game. Does anyone
here have any figures or educated guesses on how much CPU power the
decoding requires? I guess Tremor is the decoder to use, as the CPU
doesn't have a floating point unit, but will it be possible to use it
for playing background music in a cell phone game?

The target platform has an ARM at around 100 MHz. Any ideas about how
much of the CPU would be used for decoding? Is it faster to decode lower
bitrates and/or lower sample frequencies?

Thanks in advance for any pointers or information. I'm grateful for any
information.

Martin Vilcans
System Architect
http://www.jadestone.se