[Vorbis-dev] ogg/vorbis build system has broken 'make profile'

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon Jan 10 12:35:40 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 08:03:00PM -0500, Monty wrote:

> The examples are supposed to be ststically linked to avoid exactly
> this problem.  Is that what actually broke?

Yes. Passing --disable-shared to configure recovers that behavior.

What happened is that Apple broke static linking (of any kind)
in their 10.2 release, and they have said they don't intend to
fix it, even though it's a simple build bug in the system libraries,
because, hey, static linking has never been supported. Unfortunately
they didn't patch libtool to know about this, so any static build
dies instead of properly falling back to shared linking on the platform.

I felt building out of the box on MacOS was more important than
the convenience of having static examples out of the box.

 -r