[Vorbis-dev] Low level optimization

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Fri Feb 11 16:37:12 PST 2005

On Saturday 12 February 2005 10:53, Tuomo Latto wrote:
>  Nasm is quite nice, yes.
>  I also happens to be yet another build requirement.
>  What I like about (Xiph's) current Ogg/Vorbis stuff is that it
>  specifically _does_not_ require a lot of other stuff. You can build
>  it OOTB and not worry about getting a bunch of requirements and
>  dependencies first.

Presumably the assembly optimisations would be _optional_, yes?
I'm pretty sure LAME was capable of building without nasm being present the
last time I looked.

Bear in mind that Monty has already said on this list that people who want
optimised versions of the codec would do well to look at implementing better
algorithms before they start on assembly optimisations.

John