[Vorbis-dev] Low level optimization

Aleksey alexey_kv at hotbox.ru
Thu Feb 10 07:02:50 PST 2005

Yann Guidon wrote:

> Aleksey wrote:
>
>> Hi to all of vorbis developers!
>>
>> I think it is time to do core optimizations to vorbis-coder/decoder
>> in asm. I`d like to help. What you think about that?
>

> higher level optimisations + good compiler switches is safer and far
> less painful IMHO.
>
> unless you are already a P3 or P4 programming guru
> but then, others having non-x86 computers will be disapointed.
>
> YG

I mean rewrite critical core functions using x86 *simd* instructions. It
significaly increase speed on x86(and new x86-64) machines IMHO, and
precision will not change significaly. I just want to do vorbis faster
for most users, who have x86. They paid for simd instructions and
probably will be disappointed too, if vorbis will be slower than could
be on their machines. And why others who have non-x86 computers will by
disappointed? They simply couldn't use these optimizations and will use
pure vorbis C code, as it is at this time. Why do not to use it if it
exists ;)