[Vorbis-dev] Reg. vorbis for real-time audio

Shashank Khanvilkar shashank at mia.ece.uic.edu
Fri Aug 26 11:35:21 PDT 2005

Hi,

 From the vorbis decoder specification, it is clear that the decoder
needs to have all  the codebooks before decoding can actually begin.
I will appreciate if someone can clear the following questions:

1. I guess the codebooks are derived from the actual input data.
Probably the encoder may be making two passes through the input. The
first pass finds out the frequency of different symbols and the second
pass just replaces these symbols with the codewords.
If the above is true:
I wonder how vorbis encoder can be used for real-time data? Will it use
some known codebooks or will it use someform of adaptive coding?

Any help appreciated.
Shashank