[Vorbis-dev] Semantics of chaining...

John Morton jwm at angrymonkey.net.nz
Mon Apr 18 01:36:38 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 02:44, Ralph Giles wrote:
>  On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 01:28:12PM +0100, John Edwards wrote:
>  > Personally, I should have thought that the appropriate default, at
>  > least, was to treat it rather like a single wave file with a cue sheet,
>  > except that the cue sheet is built in, so to speak. ;)

Originally it was intended to be a simple way to build streams - just
concatenate files together. The only problem with this is that you need to
have something at the stream casting end to ensure that serial numbers are
unique for each logical stream across the physical stream for seeking to work
properly.

>  I'd tend to agree, though obviously dumber players will ignore the
>  boundaries.
>
>  If I were writing a player, I'd make the distinction dependent on
>  whether the metadata matches (or is empty) at the new segment.

This is more or less what I did in a hack on the xmms vorbis plugin (which I
should clean up and actually submit to the xmms people one of these days).

I expect that logical streams would make good chapter boundaries for audio
books and movies.

John