[Vorbis-dev] Large Packets and page size...

Josh Coalson j_coalson at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 10:10:57 PDT 2004

--- Monty <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:04:24PM +0800, illiminable wrote:
> > I'm just wondering about some guidelines on page size... For
> example if you
> > have a stream where all packets are consistently of size > 40,000
> bytes
> > (but less than 65000), is it appropriate to just put them 1 per
> page ie
> > have large pages.
>
> Guidelines for page size are 'what makes the most sense'.  The 4kB
> rule of thumb was for Vorbis, not other codecs.  Generally you want
> choose page size with overhead, latency and mux granularity in mind.

FLAC is one of those codecs where the packets can be large
(10-30k)... as far as I could tell though, the nominal 4k page
size is hard-coded into libogg and there was no way to really
use a larger page size without writing a custom version of
ogg_stream_pageout(), thus exposing the app to
ogg_stream_state internals.

is this the case or is there another way of doing it entirely
with libogg?

Josh