[Vorbis-dev] Large Packets and page size...

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Sep 23 07:01:25 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:04:24PM +0800, illiminable wrote:

> I'm just wondering about some guidelines on page size... For example if you
> have a stream where all packets are consistently of size > 40,000 bytes
> (but less than 65000), is it appropriate to just put them 1 per page ie
> have large pages.

It's certainly true that the 4-8k page size was chosen to match vorbis.

The only other cons I can think of to larger pages are higher
latency and buffering requirements if it's multiplexed with a
lower-bitrate stream. Also, keep in mind that when multiplexed with an
audio stream, seeking signposts will be more dense than if you use big
pages for video efficiency, so there's a performance tradeoff there.

 -r