[Vorbis-dev] Re: libvorbis 1.1.0 release

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Sep 23 06:30:28 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 12:10:26PM +1000, Geoff Shang wrote:

> So does this mean that us users will need to wait till there are new
> releases of vorbis-tools, icecast, etc. before we can get access to the new
> features?  Obviously the new tunings will work automatically...I think.

That's correct. The new tunings will be automatically used, but code
updates are necessary before clients can use the new bitrate management
features. Most people don't want that, anyway. The old interface, while
deprecated, still works.

A new vorbis-tools release is next on the todo list, of course.

It would be great is someone could update oggenc, btw. Monty mentioned
doing it on the libvorbis commit, but I don't see a corresponding
checkin against oggenc.

Cheers,
 -r