[Vorbis-dev] Vorbis and .NET

Lourens Veen lourens at rainbowdesert.net
Fri Oct 1 08:47:40 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 23:19, Matt Long wrote:

> I can't help but believe, however, that in order to get some of the greater
> open-source projects out there (including Vorbis) more widely adopted,
> making libraries available for the lowest common denominator (I include
> myself in this) would go a long way. In a nutshell, here's my philosophy:
> **If the development libraries are simple to use--abstracting away nearly
> all complexity, and available for a wide variety of developer skill sets
> and programming languages, the broader the development base will be, and
> therefore the broader the general adoption will be**.

That sound wonderful, but also very vague. Could you be a bit more specific on
how this could/should be achieved? What would your ideal Ogg/Vorbis API look
like?

Also, I think we'll always need more complex functions as well. The more
complexity you abstract away, the more functionality and flexibility you lose
as well. That's not a plea for arcane and convoluted APIs though :-). I just
think that there is a tradeoff here.

Last, perhaps it would be nicer to have this abstraction on a higher level, so
that not just Ogg and Vorbis can benefit, but other media formats as well.
I'm not familiar with DirectShow or GStreamer, but I think that that might be
an interesting option as well.

Cheers,

Lourens